Sunday 9 February 2014

Sunday Thoughts

Sunday. Instead of the usual Flower Market venture on a Sunday afternoon with following post, I am writing something different today. For one it's due to me still being sick and spending most of my time in bed, so no Flower Market for me this weekend. However, I have had time to read as I told you earlier which I have really missed. And with read I mean something other than Uni textbooks and books on how to best prepare for Exams. I have of course, also had time to read my favorite blogs. My current favorite read: Daria Daria by talented Madeleine Alizadeh.

Long story short, being in bed all day, taking in knowledge from writers such a Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Dickens and Austen, listening to Beethoven and Chopin does result in a peak of inspirational input, hence poems and other creative pieces being written. I have never done this before, but since Minnie Knows is my own personal little world where I should be able to do anything, say anything and most importantly write anything I want to, I came to the conclusion that I wanted to share with one of my biggest passions besides fashion, namely writing! May it be poems, interior monologues or short stories, I find delight in expressing my thoughts and feelings through the most important channel of human kind - language.
I have always been a bit reluctant to share my work since I am never fully satisfied with my final product. It takes me hours, days and sometimes months to finish a piece and even then I am still not fully satisfied. Nevertheless, this one work I want to share with you guys! I have actually written this some time ago in Berlin and with my trip back to Berlin fast approaching, I thought it might be a good one to share with you first. I really hope you like it. And even if you don't, please do share your opinions, because that's how I can always work to be better and strive to produce my best and nothing less.
Here we go:

-A lifetime-

Departure time 9.15
I was waiting for the usual flight that would take me back to another home away from home.
These flights seemed to have become my everyday life.
More often than not was I up in the air, to and fro.
Spent more hours of my life up in the air, between lands, than I set foot in them.
Constantly.
Leaving countries and arriving in different time zones.
Ans yet here I was again.
Waiting.

However, this time proved to be different.
Sitting, waiting for flight number 10487, I glanced and old couple.
Sitting next to me.
Waiting.
Just like me, they were waiting.
Uncertain of where they were going, I was amazed by their comfort towards each other.
Day dreaming about my own future I let myself drift away.
Dreamed of a human being that would give me that same comfort one day.
So amazed by how these two souls dealt with each other.
Their speech. Their gestures. Their facial expression.
I spotted their golden rings.
Each one around the ring finger that implied a long life had been lived.
Together.
I asked them how long the had been together. 
Like a matter of course, it bursts out of me.
With a shy smile they answered almost simultaneously, 65 years.

Yes, 65 years.

780 months.
3.120 weeks.
23.360 days.

65 years.
Triple my age, I thought.
More than half a decade.
Lived and spent with one person.
Woken up next to the same face.
Day after day.
Kissed, only one person.
Your whole life.
It had something do beautiful.
Poetic.
Personal and oh so honest.

Eager to know how it had worked out I was even more amazed to hear the answer:

'We grew up learning to fix what was broken, not throw it away just like that.'

He said.
She smiled.
Holding his hand tighter, I couldn't but admire these beautifully crafted human beings.

The words he had said entered my head, took hold of my mind and devoured my thoughts. 
They looked for a place in my head where they could never be tossed out again. 
Once they conquered this they made their way to my heart.
My inner most part of my body and made sure never to leave again.

65 years.
780 months.
3.120 weeks.
23.360 days.

Telling me their story, how they had met and what they had been through made them even more special.
I couldn't but associate their story with a beautiful song.
Their story sounded like one of those love stories that did only occur every now and then.
Tragic with an almost unbearable climax yet a happy ending.
Yes, it sounded like that once in a lifetime thing where one decision was made that changed one's life completely.
Proving to be the best decision someone could ever make, will have made, no matter what the future might hold.

Crafted in a time where the words 'love' and  being 'in love' were not being just tossed around.
They still meant something.
Everything.
Theses souls were  the living evidence.

65 years.
780 months.
3.120 weeks.
23.360 days.

A lifetime.

written by Minnie Seibt
Share:

8 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  2. I find it very good of you and for you that you're sharing another passion with us!
    And then this real life story..amazing! The feelings that they have towards eachother must be so strong and intense, so beautiful. Nothing is more beautiful than love. I'm now almost 5 years with my boyfriend (yes since I was 15!) and I really hope I can add 60 more years to it like this couple, or even more. He's the best thing that could ever happen to me and I really really want him to be my last love!
    This story is so beautiful and emotional, it remembers me how strong my love is for my bf.
    Thanks for sharing this! xo
    www.blondebutterflies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. So touched that you liked it. All the best for you and your bf and to 60years more happiness and a life together xx

      Delete
  3. Loved it! I usually stay away from poetry or prose, because most of the time it doesn't quite speak to me. But your piece is really, a great work. Especially the way you express yourself, you transfer your emotions to the reader too. And the story itself is heart warming :)

    Btw, sorry to hear you're sick. I'm a piece of garbage when I feel sick, don't know how you stay up and do bloggy stuff still :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww hehe I'm honoured :) So pleased you liked it darling! And thank you, feeling better already. I think the illness made me do it actually haha

      Delete

© Minnie Knows | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig